Chagrin Falls Popcorn Shop Celebrates 70th Anniversary With 1949 Prices

Mon 11/11-Sun 11/17

The Popcorn Shop is a beloved landmark on Main Street in downtown Chagrin Falls. First opened in 1949 in a 144-year-old building that sits right on top of the falls, which powered the adjoining flour mill, and later a barber shop, it offers lots more than just popcorn, including coffee, ice cream and candies of all types.

Following a truck ramming into the building and nearly destroying it in 1999, former Cleveland Nightclub owner Dewey Forward and George Richards partnered with Mort McClennan, son of original owner Dorothy McClennan, to rebuild and reopen in 2001. The shop also survived an attempt by President George W. Bush to run the cash register during a 2004 visit to the shop.

To celebrate its 70 years, the Popcorn Shop will be rolling back its prices to the 1949 level, when prices were approximately 1/11th of what they are now. So something that costs $10.80 today would have cost $1 then. It will also offer free popcorn and coffee for veterans of Veteran’s Day November 11.

ChagrinFallsPopcorn

 

Post categories:

Leave a Reply

Comments

comments