Opened in 1960, the Lancer Steakhouse at E. 77th and Carnegie not only served traditional American and soul food but served as a hub and gathering place for Cleveland’s black elite for years. By the time it was destroyed by a fire in December 2009, that crowd had moved on, although owner George Dixon moved across the street and kept going. Early this year, it moved downtown to the spot formerly occupied by the Mardi Gras, across from the Plain Dealer building, where it’s better positioned to serve its familiar comfort food to the lunchtime work crowd. It’s open until 1am seven nights, 2:30am on Saturdays, then reopens for brunch for the after-church crowd at 1 pm on Sunday.
1425 E. 21st Street